Monday, March 19, 2007

Like sand through an hour glass...

So go the days of our lives. Yesterday was a sad milestone for me. For seven months now I have been making friends. I'm always meeting someone new, getting together with somebody I don't really know, or just walking around aimlessly hoping someone wants a white friend. But yesterday I actually had to do the exact opposite. I had to tell a friend "Goodbye" for the first time.

The Doner Dude is leaving. He speaks English (hence our friendship) and is going to work in a tourist town along the coast for the summer. It's a great opportunity for him to make some money and spend the summer in an awesome place. I was tempted to ask him if he could hook me up with a job too. The really sad thing is, I probably won't see him again. When his summer employment is over, he will go into the military. All men in this country have to do a short stint with the army and his time has come. He'll still be in the army when I am scheduled to go home.

It was a sad event. I went to the doner shop and took him a small book of Jesus' life and the history of the first church (the Gospel of Luke, Acts, and Romans, joined in a small book). It was actually very saddening to tell him bye. He said he could tell that I looked sad and he was visibly a little down himself. Out of all the people that have come into my life since I have been here, he's really the first one to leave it. So even though it is a sad one, it is a milestone in my life here.

No comments: