Saturday, October 21, 2006

GameDay in Clemson

I am writing this the at the same time as the previous post, but for obvious reasons, I did not feel that they should be together.

So, if you haven't heard, there's a big game in Clemson this weekend. We come into the game now 6-1 and ranked #12 in the nation. GT is coming in, also with just one loss, and ranked #13 in the nation. We are the two teams that look most likely to make it to Jacksonville, site of this year's ACC Championship. However, for us, with our one loss coming to BC (oh, how I hate them), it is a must win. Another loss to an ACC opponent could mean that we are out of the running for a trip to the championship game.



9 of the last 10 times we have played GT, the game has been decided by 5 points are less. And, unfortunately, GT is 3-1 in their last four trips to Death Valley. Our biggest strength, our offensive line, plays into their biggest strength, their zone blitzing style of defense. Our biggest weakness, our special teams, also is their biggest weakness. It's hard to tell what will be the difference in this game. Will James Davis continue to score TDs on a record setting pace? Will Calvin Johnson have another big game like he did last time he came to Death Valley? Will Gaines Adams get a sack in a record six games in a row? Or will Reggie Ball take advantage of his overpursuit to have a big day on the ground? Who knows. It seems like a dead even match up, but something has to give. Games don't end in ties anymore.

I think we're the better team. We are playing at home, in front of a sell out crowd, under the lights, with the national spotlight on us. There is something special about Death Valley at night. We will win our homecoming game. I say Proctor throws for a TD, James Davis rushes for one, and we pick up one somewhere else (maybe special teams?), Jad makes one field goal, and until he proves that he can do this right, he misses another EP. Tigers win another close on 23-17.

So with that out of the way, let me make a confession. I miss Clemson awfully bad today. With all the hype around this game, with us being so highly ranked, and with GameDay coming to campus, I just miss it awfully bad today. But before you get too worried, I'm not talking about homesickness or culture shock or anything like that. Just wish I could be there, for one day, and then I'd gladly come back. Looking at the webcam on Clemson's website of beautiful Bowman Field, covered in homecoming floats and the ESPN stage in the background brings up all the affection I have for that place. For years I threw frisbee on that field hoping that someday we would be back in the national spotlight. Now we are. If we win today, we will be knocking on the door of the top 10 and will have given ourselves a pretty good chance of winning the ACC and going to our first ever BCS bowl. All this happens the year, the one and only year of my life up to this point, that I CAN NOT go to Clemson. The last two years, in CO, I chose not to go to Clemson, mainly due to a lack of money, but this year, with so much going on, I would gladly pay it to be there for this game. So no I'm not homesick, I don't regret coming here, I'm not battling culture shock, I just miss my home, Clemson, SC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris- We found you (through our friend in Peroo's blog). Glad to hear all is good and we hope there is a happy ending to your second trip to the visa office (we just cross a border and come back...no offices, no questions, just a double decker bus and our passports).
Drop in our lives at our blog.
Anthony and Sharon