Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It's in the books.

Now if I could only find the books...

Yesterday was my first foray into the world of ESL teaching. I wasn't actually teaching, but observing one of my bosses (yeah, try having two bosses for a while) teaching his class with a group of people from our bank. Basically all I did was make copies of the handouts and sat there and took notes on how to teach. It was actually quite an enjoyable night. There were five students, all adults (over 30), and even though none of them had taken an English class within the last twenty years, they knew much more English than I do Turkish. In that sense, it was quite embarassing for me. But, it made the class a lot of fun. We were just reviewing simple "to be" phrases, making negatives, and making questions. They all were cutting up, both in English and Turkish, and we all just had a blast. If this is what teaching English is like on a regular basis, I'm going to enjoy this a good bit I think.



But before you go thinking it was just the perfect night, let me add this in there really quick. About an hour before the class started, the power went out for the third time yesterday. It had gone off twice during the day, but was not out for long. However, not long after sundown, it went out again, and was off for over an hour. So instead of having class in our office, we had to relocate to the bank. It wasn't a problem really, but it was just one of those "Only in Central Asia" moments (though I'm sure it happens more often in Africa and South America and places like that).

No comments: