Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"Technologically Advanced" and Three Things I Never Thought I'd See Here

Supposedly this is how our mayor described our city to some journalists recently. He was asked why he had stopped the traditional morning drums for Ramazan. Back in Ottoman times, drummers would roam the streets before daylight to wake the people so that they could eat their mongo breakfast before the sun came up and their fast started. This tradition has been kept to the present day, as witnessed by the lighter sleepers on my team. However, our mayor wants to make it a thing of the past. He says now that most people use these new fangled things called "alarm clocks" that people don't need the drummer. We're technologically advanced now.

And since this man obviously knows that you have to back up your words with actions, he made sure to prove just how advanced we are...



See what I mean? What? You don't see it? Well look closer. That's right, we now have line markings on our streets! We're definitely on the cutting edge of all the latest technology, trends, and fashions. Just days after proclaiming our modernism to the world, we finally put some physical markings on our roads. Unfortunately, though this picture was taken a few days after the markings were laid down, you can still see the lead car straddling the center line. Apparently the people are quite sure how to use all the new technology that we have. Maybe the mayor better keep those drummers going after all.

And finally, three shockers from the past week...

First of all, just hours after I noticed our newly painted roads, I also noticed a shining red Ferrari parked just down the street from my house. It was parked in front of a really nice desert restaurant, and, of course, had it'd blinkers on. Apparently that's the technologically advanced way of not getting a parking ticket. Putting on your blinkers is like a force field that protects your car from all traffic police. Unfortunately for some of my coworkers, that device hasn't been installed in our company car.



Secondly, it rained today. No, I mean for real, there was water actually falling from the sky for a good half hour or more. It was amazing. I can't remember for certain, but I think this is the first time it's rained since Paul's second journey. I could be wrong though, I never can remember if that boating accident he had was on the second or third trip.

And lastly, one thing that I wish I had pictures to prove, because I don't think anyone will believe me until I can show it to you, but I was actually in the praise band at church this past week. By "praise band" I mean the Korean girl on her keyboard, the Shark beating on the drum, and I on the guitar. The Pastor called me up Friday night at 10 and asked if I was free Saturday afternoon. I was, so he asked me to come to the church. He wanted me to play guitar with the Korean and if we were good enough, we would play on Sunday. I guess I auditioned well because after about an hour of practice, the Pastor left and said that he would see the next day up on stage. I won't lie, I pretty well stunk it up. On the loud songs, the drum and the singing was so loud that I couldn't hear myself play and therefore I had a hard time staying on beat. I flubbed a few chords while I was playing and the Korean threw me off once by going back into the verse when I thought we were going into the chorus again. But we ended on a song that I not only really like and know all the words to, but one that I can play really well. So even though we were sloppy through most the set, we really had a great encore to finish the day. And yes, as far as I know, I am going to be a permanent member of the praise band, believe it or not.

No comments: