Saturday, May 03, 2008

Back in Town

I got back in last night from a wonderful week in Cappadocia. We got the whole gang together and headed up there for a few days of rest, relaxation, and spiritual rejuvenation. I think we accomplished two of the three (I'm worn out today).

We spent a lot of time in meetings. I know, it sounds boring. But, it was interested stuff and should prove to be useful. We started everyday with some worship, prayer, and teaching from 1 Peter. 1 Peter has always been a book that has really spoken a lot to me and this past week was no different.

The first day we were there, we had a presentation about the status of the Turkish church. It was humbling, but at the same time, for me at least, very motivating. The group that compiles the numbers say that there are just over 3,000 believers in Turkey and they are organized into about 97 churches. Honestly, I was surprised that it was that many. After being here for a year and a half, it becomes obvious that they are few and far between. It is very sobering to think that there are only 3,000 believing Turks among 70.5 million people living here. Also, the numbers on foreign longevity were sobering. Most workers that come here to stay "long term" leave before their 7th year. There is a small number of people that have really been here "long term." Again, it's very sobering to think of the amount of work that is left to be done here. At the same time, it's incredible to think that just ten or twelve years ago, we were counting Turkish believers in the hundreds, not thousands. God is working here. It may be small and slow right now, but the Spirit is moving.

We also had presentations on team roles (a kind of personality test) and on how to be a good listener. Both presentations were insightful and helpful for us all. With the enormous task ahead of us of reaching the Turkish people and planting churches here among them, being able to work together on teams is a must. Figuring out ways to do that in a more Christ-like manner will only make our lives easier and our work more Christ centered.

But, for me, the best times we had were just sitting around and enjoying the fellowship of the wonderful people I get to work with. The first night there, the Anti, the Botanist, all the V-boys, and myself got together for a rather slow, but fun game of Rummy. Lots of laughs and me winning adds up to a great night any time. When I can have lots of laughs (and win) with the people that have become my family over the last year and a half, then it's really a special night. The second night was Phase 10 with Papa V, the Mexican, a few V boys, my Favorite Co-Op-er, and myself. There were plenty of corn nuts to go around and as the night wore on the laughter turned into the smooth sounds of some classic country. The only thing better than a fun card game with corn nuts and good friends would be a fun card game with corn nuts and good friends that I didn't finish last in. Which brings us to the last night, when we again played Phase 10, with pretty much the same crowd, and with me finishing last again. Poop. At least I still had fun. Also, we got out and enjoyed the adventures that Cappadocia offers. One day, the Anti, the Botanist, the elder V-boy, and myself rented 4-wheelers for a couple hours. We cruised through the valleys that make Cappadocia so special. We found a nice spot to get a little air and took turns jumping our ATVs. The one near death experience only added to the fun. The next day all of us guys rented mopeds to cruise around on. We took these mopeds places that the ATVs didn't even dare to go. There was some jumping of the mopeds and some wrecking of the mopeds involved. I admit that I laid mine down once in some thick sand. But when you consider all the places (mud, sand, steep hills, off any sort of trail) that we took the things, it's a small miracle that no one was hurt (seriously) or no moped was broken (too bad). The Anti and I took some time on the last day to do a little souvenir shopping before hitting the bus home. It was a good, low key way to end a really great week.

I took a good number of pictures with the Canadians OM-3 this past week. However, I didn't have the handy dandy light meter with me, so there are no guarantees on whether or not they are going to turn out alright. Also, I won't be able to get them developed until Wednesday, since the one place in town that develops black and white film only does it once a week (on Wednesday morning). But once I get them, and sort through the crappy ones to find a good one or two, I'll post them up.

Until then, I need to get back to life here. I have a birthday party for my youngest Turkish friend tonight (he turns one). Pray for his father, the Big O. He's been a friend of mine and of some other friends for a long time now. Spiritual things seems to come up anytime I am around him. With my time coming to a close here, I hope to speak as much truth into his life as possible. Pray that God is softening his heart, taking out the heart of stone and putting in a heart of flesh, to make him receptive to this truth. I love this guy and want nothing more than to see him find the love and forgiveness that has been offered him by our God and King.

1 comment:

Zachs mom said...

I love reading your updates. I can always see your heart for the people there. Looking forward to seeing you in Mississippi soon. Zach's Mom