Thursday, May 15, 2008

A few more from Cappadocia

These were all taken during the trip up to Cappadocia. The scenery is absolutely amazing, but I haven't figured out how to capture that on film quite yet. I hope you enjoy.

This is simit, a wonderful snack that is somewhere between a pretzel and a bagel with sesame seeds. I bought one for a homeless guy the morning we left for Cappadocia, but he wouldn't take it.

I liked the look of the sheen on the water. When I tried to get the picture, someone inside the station turned on the fountain to ruin it for me. Once the water calmed down, I went back, and the same thing happened. I gave them the evil eye and the third time I approached, I got the shot, with the dead bug as a reward for my persistence.

Yes, I've become that creepy dude who carries his camera to the bathroom with him.

One day the Anti, the Botanist, the elder V-Boy, and I rented four-wheelers for a couple hours. We had a blast and no one got hurt. Though, as you can see here, there were a couple close calls.

Once we got back on the trail though, we were able to enjoy the ancient cliff dwellings that surround the modern villages of Cappadocia.

And explore the many valleys that house thousand year old churches and rock formations that are like nothing I've ever seen.

Then we took turns getting air-born on our four wheelers.

Artifacts from the not so ancient history.

Then a bunch of us guys rented mopeds the next day. We took them into places that mopeds are not supposed to go into. There were a few spills. This is the result of fall #1 (notice the mud flap on the moped to the left is missing).

More of the landscape that makes Cappadocia so unique and intriguing.

The weather was awesome all week and I enjoyed every second of the get-a-way. I really love the people I get to work with and to spend a week in such a beautiful place with them all was a huge blessing. With my end approaching, I made sure to enjoy and treasure every moment of it. And, thanks to the Canadian, I'll have all these pictures to remember it by.

No comments: