Thursday, September 14, 2006

Spoon in spoon, stirring my coffee

From hand to hand/Wrists to the elbow/Red blood sand/Could dad be god/Crosses cross/Hung out like a wet rag/Forgive you why/You hung me out to dry

Maybe Im a little crazy/But laughing out loud/Makes it all pass by/Maybe we're all a little crazy/But laughing out loud/Makes the pain subside

Spoon in spoon/Stirring my coffee/I think of this/And turn to go away/But as I walk/The voices behind me say/Sinners sin/Come now and play
-David J. Matthews with Alanis Morisette

I felt like being a little dramatic today. Yesterday I spent the afternoon with our "member care" people. They're a staff couple in the country to help people like myself through hard times. They're there to talk to you when your down and lonely, or to pray with you when something terrible or traumatic happens. Generally, they're just trying to keep people from going crazy. Luckily, I don't have any major issues in my life right now that needed to be discussed, so it was a rather enjoyable afternoon. I hope they felt the same way, because we spent an awful lot of time together for them to be bored. But, since nothing came up, I almost feel let down, like I should've had something wrong with me to talk about. I mean, that's what these people are paid to do, talk to people about their problems. The only ones I could think of dealt with showering regularly and what kind of meat I bought the other day (it's good, but I have no idea what it is). Oh well, give me a few more weeks, I'm sure some screw will come loose.

Today was a very average day. What I mean by an "average day" is that I spent almost 8 hours trying to learn another language from a guy who barely speaks mine. Today was mostly just reviewing stuff I had already "learned" but hadn't quite yet mastered. We got in a huge argument over the correct way to conjugate the future tense of verbs, an argument I actually was right about. Granted, I still know next to nothing, but it felt good to actually know what I was talking about once. My language study also includes reading through chapter after chapter of the New Testament in Turkish. If you thought Romans 9 and 10 were hard to understand in English, try it in Turkish!!! But it is very helpful and I appreciate his willingness to come by and stay with me during the day.

I also got an invitation to my first party. Sounds like I'll have to show them how an American parties! "We're coming to your town, we'll help you party down, we're an American band!" -GFR

No comments: