Saturday, September 30, 2006

I'm crazy. Crazy for feeling so lonely...

This is for you Shea. You promised to pray, so you're getting something to pray for.

I really have nothing planned to do this weekend, so pray that I make wise use of the time to learn some language, make a new friend or two, and deepen a relationship or two. I need to visit my friend Mr. Kelly, hopefully I can get some pool in with the Shark on Sunday, and, Lord willing, maybe I'll learn a word or two of this gloriously awkward language.

So I was reprimanded today for going to see a Willie Nelson concert. I was told that it was "not glorifying to God." When I gave the expected reaction of utter confusion, the initial blow was followed up by "you know it wasn't glorifying to Him." Of course, being the young and disrespectful little you know what I am, I said, "No I didn't know that. You'll have to tell me about it later." So what the heck? What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to think? Is it wrong to like Willie Nelson? Did I dishonor Christ by going to that concert? First of all, is Willie really all that bad to begin with? I mean, I am a huge Willie Nelson fan. He is by far my favorite country singer. And off the top of my head, I can't think of one song of his that is sexually explicit, anti-Christ, or includes cussing. Secondly, the concert was held in the Tabernacle, in Atlanta, GA. It's an old BAPTIST CHURCH. And thirdly, and most impressively, Robbie Gouge and myself got into this show on sheer determination, a fraternal bond with the scalping community, one desperate white guy, and eighteen dollars in cold hard cash. If God isn't happy with that, I don't know what I can do. So please, give me a break. Can all my heros really be cowboys and yet still be faithful? Can I live in the promisedland and listen to Willie? Are there not seven spanish angels that think it's okay? Everywhere I go, even to the mendicino county line, I wonder, is this Graceland or the city of New Orleans? It's too late. My mama done let her baby grow up to be a cowboy. I'm a highway man and I'm on the road again with Poncho and Lefty. And although it's always on my mind, you won't see these blue eyes crying in the rain, because there's nothing I can do about it now. (If you don't understand the last half of that paragraph, I highly recommend that you pick up the double CD "The Essential Willie Nelson" and give it a listen. It's good music and I think God will be okay with it.)

I was honestly taken a-back by it. I didn't really know how to respond. If I am genuinely in the wrong here, please someone let me know. I am just not seeing it. But until God sends me some sort of message to steer clear of Willie, Waylon, and the boys, I will continue to be a faithful fan and a regular listener. And to those who condemn me for listening to such filth, I leave Willie's own words, "Forgiving you was easy, but forgetting seems to take the longest time."

No comments: