Thursday, September 21, 2006

You're a Hard Habit to Break

So as all this was going on with the CCC people, there was another dilemma in my apartment. When I walked in the door, my room mate was having a little heart to heart with the White Guy in our living room. I can tell it was something important by the way they were talking, so I just crept on back to my room. I was actually writing the CCC blog during that time and when they were done, they came into my room. The roomie said that he had a lot of work to do, but that me and the White Guy should talk.

Well, come to find out, this is the situation. The White Guy supposedly came to the Lord back in Jan. and has been involved in church and Bible study since. BUT, he is very discouraged right now for a few different reasons. First, and probably foremost, he really wants to get married. I know that may sound a little silly, but you must understand his situation. As a believing man here, you are choosing celibacy as much as you are Christ. There are three single Christian women in this town. Three. The chances of finding a Christian wife are low at best, but realistically, it’s almost none. Along with the wife problem, you must understand a couple other things. First of all, this guy is ridiculed for his faith all the time. He has been laughed at by his coworkers and pretty well ostracized from socializing with people there. Also, and maybe harder, is that he is supposed to claim his religion on his national ID card. You have to show that card anytime you are applying for a job, doing business with a bank, being stopped by the police, etc. That could have very large, and very negative ramifications. To use his words, “When I walk down the street, I do not see anyone who believes as I do. And it’s not that they don’t believe, but that they are against me believing.” It’s very difficult to believe in this country.

But if it was just him complaining about it being difficult, that’d be one thing. The real problem though came when I found out what he’s planning on doing about it. He read the entire Quran on Monday. Of course he didn’t understand it (who can?), so he made an appointment with one of the Islamic religious teachers to discuss what he had read. He says he is searching for God. He believes that if he seeks, God will show himself. However, I mentioned to him that reading the Quran and visiting the local Mosque usually does not qualify as seeking God. God does not dwell in those places. I hope and pray that he realizes this. Because if he is looking to be accepted, then the Mosque is where he will find it. If he wants to marry, following Mohammed will make it easier for him to find a wife. But if he is really searching for truth, then he must come back to the Bible, for that is the only place I have found it.

I write this on Friday. Our conversation was Tuesday night, he visited the Mosque on Wednesday, and neither I nor my roommate have heard from him since. Continue to pray.

No comments: